The book Go Ask Alice by Anonymous is a diary that tell the life beganning to end of a struggling adolescent teenage girl. After making a challenging move Alice struggles with the typical low self-esteem and loneliness of being a teenager. By hanging out with the wrong people Alice starts to experiment with drugs such as herion, marijuana, acid, and LSD. Alice's life from then on is a rollercoaster ride filled with becoming a runaway, drugdealer, and prostitute. Alice did make several attempts to get her act together and she even attended some college, but in the end she misserably failed and was unable due to a fatal drug overdose.
I choose this book because I felt it touched very well over some of the narcotics and hallucinogens that were meantioned in Chapter 4. Hallucinogens are drug that create a loss of contact with reality and alter other aspects of emotion, perception, and thoughts. Some examples of these drugs are LSD, ketamine, and marijuana. Narcotics are drugs that suppress the sensation of pain by binding to and stimulating the nervous system's natural receptor sites for endorphins. Both hallucinogens and narcotics are very harmful drugs that can have a major effect on ones body and brain even with one use. Some people my suffer bad "trips" while others may overdose very easily. All of them may have fatal effects on a human being.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember when this book came out. I was in elementary school. The librarians wouldn't give it to young reader unless he/she was accompanied by a parent. My oldest sister read it and gave it to me. I was far to young to understand the ramifications of most of what I was reading. But I did get this message: Drugs killed Alice. And I was absolutely positive drugs were the most dangerous materials on Earth. As a cautionary tale, it worked for me.
ReplyDelete